Knowledge Base # 29 Preparing to Sell Your Villa
Preparing Your Villa for Sale in the Spring:
A Comprehensive Guide.
As we enter the quieter winter months and the property market start to slow down it is best to make the preparations now if you are thinking of listing your property for sale in the coming months.
As the vibrant beauty of spring approaches and buyers from Northern Europe make contact with Hondon Valley Homes to arrange viewing appointments , it’s the perfect time to prepare your villa for sale in the picturesque Hondon Valley. Selling your property can be a smooth and successful experience if you plan ahead and make sure every detail is in order.
Here is Hondon Valley Homes comprehensive guide to help you get your villa ready for listing in the spring:
1. Choose a Legal and Registered Estate Agent:
- Research reputable estate agents in the Hondon Valley with a proven track record and positive client testimonials.
- Ensure the agent is legally registered and licensed to operate in Spain, giving you peace of mind during the selling process.
- By law all agents need to be registered/licenced and insured.
- Hondon Valley Home API Registration number 00608 and RAICV 149
2. Select a Competent Lawyer:
- Hire a knowledgeable and experienced lawyer who specializes in Spanish property transactions, speaks your language and has knowledge of the area you are buying in. If you are buying in a city, choose a city lawyer, if you are buying in the countryside, choose a lawyer used to dealing with rural town halls….. trust me it will be a smoother experience.
- Your lawyer will assist with legal paperwork, conduct due diligence, and ensure a smooth sales process.
3. Review Villa Documentation:
- Gather all essential documentation related to your property, including title deeds, building permits, and property tax records. We normally advise our vendors to take all the documentation to their own lawyer to have them run through and highlight any areas that need to be updated and apply for any documents that may be out of date. It is better to do this now or at least start it now so that everything is acceptable when a potential buyers lawyer takes a look at the documents.
- Verify that your villa has the necessary certificates and permissions, ensuring a hassle-free sale.
4. Attend to Odd Jobs Around the Villa and Garden:
- Take a critical look at your villa and address any minor repairs or maintenance issues. This includes fixing leaky taps, replacing broken tiles, and repairing doors or windows.
- Enhance your garden’s appeal by trimming overgrown plants, mowing the lawn, and planting seasonal flowers that will be in full bloom when potential buyers are coming to view.
- My advice is to drive through your front drive and take a critical look at your own property. This is the first impression that your potential buyer will get……. make it a good first impression.
5. Painting and Decorating:
- Consider a fresh coat of paint in neutral, inviting colours to make your villa look well-maintained and inviting.
- Rooms need to be light and bright even on overcast days.
- Replace outdated fixtures, such as lighting, electrical sockets, to give your villa a modern touch.
6. Create a Warm and Inviting Atmosphere:
- Stage your villa to highlight its best features. Arrange furniture to maximize space and create a cozy ambiance.
- Let in natural light by cleaning windows and using light, airy curtains. Adding a few decorative elements can create a welcoming vibe as can a few strategically placed lights in darker corners. It is important that bathrooms and kitchens are light and bright and meticulously clean.
7. Professional Photography:
- Ensure your agent takes high quality photographs as well as video.
- These are what will draw in potential buyers and it is your shop window to the world. If you have staged your property beautifully the photos should “POP” and it really makes a difference.
- Ask for a video of the villa and drone images/video where possible.
8. Set an Appropriate Price:
- Work closely with your estate agent to determine a competitive and realistic selling price for your property. Buyers are better informed than ever regarding what properties are selling for and so should you be.
- Consider market trends, recent sales in the area, and the unique features of your villa when setting the price. We will of course guide you on this.
- The danger of overpricing is that the property will just sit and become stagnant. Correctly priced villas sell quickly in the Hondon Valley.
9. Market Your Property Effectively:
- Make sure your agent markets your property on professional property portals and gets the maximum possible exposure on paid as well as free property portals.
- Ensure the agents create a visually appealing listing with detailed descriptions, highlighting the key features of your villa and its surroundings, an attractive well shot villa video helps no end in the marketing of the property. At Hondon Valley Homes we provide this free of charge to clients who list directly with us.
10. Prepare for Viewings:
- Keep your villa clean, tidy, and well-ventilated for scheduled viewings.
- If you have a dog, perhaps air out the house and remove dog beds and toys.
- Be ready to answer questions about the property and its amenities, showcasing your knowledge and enthusiasm for potential buyers.
- Turn on lights in darker corners, bathrooms and kitchens
- Walk around the property 30 minutes before the viewing to ensure everything is good.
By following these steps and preparing your villa meticulously, you’ll be well-prepared to list your property in the spring market. With the right guidance from a trustworthy estate agent and lawyer, your villa will attract eager buyers, making your selling experience in the Hondon Valley a successful and enjoyable one.
Steven Bromley is the owner of Hondon Valley Homes and has been selling properties in and around the Hondon Valley since 2006. Hondon Valley Homes are a legal registered, licenced and insured real estate agency as required by law.